This week’s Deadhead Corner Tune of the Day is an excellent jam from Watkins Glen in 1973. 600,000 people came to see the Dead, The Allman Brothers and The Band play on July 28 at the Watkins Glen Speedway. A huge crowd had arrived the day before, and in typical Grateful Dead fashion the band decided to treat their soundcheck as a concert, treating the early attendees to two short sets of music. Of particular note is the second set jam (Track 10 in the Archive Player) that starts from nothing and eventually works its way into a Fire on the Mountain jam (a good 5 years before they released the song). Check it out.
Grateful Dead – Watkins Glen, July 27, 1973
- Tears Of Rage (Alternate Take) – The Band
- Morning Dew – Grateful Dead (Madison WI – June 24, 1983)
- The Pogues – Honky Tonk Women
- Grateful Dead – Help On The Way / Slipknot
- Viola Lee Blues – Grateful Dead
- The Needle And The Spoon – Lynyrd Skynyrd
- 1973 Martin D-12-35
- 1973 Gibson ES-335
- 1973 Gibson J-50 Deluxe
- 1973 Fender Telecaster
|Selling? Check out usedguitar.com's CLASSIFIEDS. Classifeds are currently free to our Facebook, Twitter and Google Plus fans and followers.